[OM] Broni-blad

Subject: [OM] Broni-blad
From: "Bill Pearce" <bspearce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 7 Dec 2002 09:21:11 -0600
"I considered a Bronica, and did serious research on it; best bang for
the buck.  "
Probably, but my repairman, who does work on both, considers Bronicas to be
much less reliable, and has mmany  scare stories to back it up.

"The lenses hold their own against the Hassys, but the one
thing I will have to admit, the Hassys give good color balance, more so
then te Mamiyas and Bronicas.  But in terms of sharpness, I couldn't
tell the difference."
Probably accurate. I think that Bronica lenses tend to a noticably cool
rendition, where the zeiss lenses tend to a warmer look. Certainly Bronica
lenses are sharp.

  "My friend's got a Hassy 500CM with a 80mm lens,
and a 220 back and that's it.  (All he can afford, sounds about right
huh?)  But it takes stunning pictures, but his pics are good in general,
and so once again, I maintain that the equipment is a secondary to the
photographer."
Absolutely correct.

"Do you have a SERIOUSLY STURDY tripod??  If not, I can guarantee that
Tripod + Bronica will be sharper then Hand + Hassy no contest.  If you
don't have a good tripod, buy the Bronica and a tripod, that then
becomes a no-brainer...

Albert"
That's true, of course, but that statement is equally correct in the reverse
(one could even say that the OM2000 with the crappy Cosina zoom is a better
camera on a tripod than an OM4T with a 50/1.8 MIJ handheld, so you shouldn't
buy the OM4 unless you are going to use it on a tripod). Many, many
professional shooters, including myself, shoot handheld frequently, with
results noticably better than 35. Any camera is sharper on a tripod, from 35
to 4x5. That's no reason to make a choice. I would suggest that a used 'blad
will be a better long term imvestment that a used Bronica, as they are very
repairable. On the other hand, a used Bronica, at a very good price, will
get plenty of good pictures.

I will say, as someone that has an excess 'blad for sale, that the prices of
used Hasselblad equipment have been declining since 9/11(don't know if it's
the economy or the tons of wedding shooters that are going digital). I'm
hoping that they
have flattened, as it looks like they have. If one is interested in a
Hasselblad, this is a very good time to buy.

Bill Pearce