Re: [OM] Broni-blad

Subject: Re: [OM] Broni-blad
From: Albert <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 08 Dec 2002 01:28:25 +0800
I have to confess something, when I first took up photography as a hobby, I never owned a tripod. I shot everything, and thought it was fine. On a trip through Oregon with my friend, he brought his "GEAR" the works, and we loaded it up in the car. I bought an extra attachment plate, so I could use his tripod. Let me tell you, that was the first time I understood the benefits of a tripod. The waterfall shots, amazing. I needed to shoot it at 1/8th to give it that nice "Moss" effect, and without a tripod, not way to get that shot. Everything on a tripod is awesome.

I'm not saying a Hassy's a bad camera, I'd love to own one if I could afford one; but I'm saying, sometimes, the image quality is not 100% dependent on the camera + lens only, but the photographer and tripod will play a pivotal roll.

I recall giving some )&*(#%)*(&@ about how the Zuiko 28mm/f2.8 was a horrible performer, only to find that my UV filter was tweaked and a Heliopan filter solved that problem. The best glass in the world with a bad filter in front is as... bad as the filter. That's all.

I will make a comment about the Hassey as far as reliability; the way my friend treats it, I have to believe Hassy's will generally survive the most severe conditions; I don't quite have that confidence level in Bronica's, but then again, you know if you are going to Antartica or not...

Albert