Re: What's your standard setup? (was [OM] Mind Bender)

Subject: Re: What's your standard setup? (was [OM] Mind Bender)
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 06 Dec 2002 00:16:32 -0500
At 02:37 12/4/02, Clemente asked:
Were you happy witht eh pictures taken by the 35-105 zoom?

Still waiting for roll #4 of Kodachrome 64 and the roll of Ilford FP4. Very pleased with Kodachrome rolls 1-3. The 35-105 has surprising contrast, in spite of the number of elements, and mine is pretty darn sharp with little pincushion or barrel distortion too.

Originally bought the lens with some trepidation about it being an older 3X design and the large number of elements/groups. I'm more a prime lens user. Got the first roll of K64 back after buying it a few years ago, was very pleasantly surprised, and it instantly became a "keeper." Wouldn't think of selling it now. Do wish it was an f/2.8 which would make focusing easier in low light, and switch to f/2 (or faster) primes under those conditions.

I might have done some of the shots on the road trip using the 35/2.8 Shift (which I do use for some landscapes) if the time to set up a tripod and make very deliberate shots had been available. With pure landscapes without close and large man-made objects, perspective lines are much easier to manage and didn't encounter serious compositional problems.

-- John