Re: What's your standard setup? (was [OM] Mind Bender)

Subject: Re: What's your standard setup? (was [OM] Mind Bender)
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 03 Dec 2002 23:44:43 -0500
At 21:18 12/2/02, Rob asked:

This brings up a question, though (and one that has probably been discussed to death, so forgive me). What do most of you carry as a "standard" compact setup and for what kind of photography? I'm just curious.

-Rob

I try to plan for what I'm most likely to encounter and make the lenses and other gear most likely to be used easiest to access. Used to try a "standard kit" but gave up. There's too much variation in light levels and desired perspectives. Currently I put the 35mm small format gear into a Tamrac 608 if I need to carry gear around on my shoulder continuously, or don't want to cart in a large bag. The rest of the small format gear, if it can at least make the trip to the general destination, is put into a much larger bag and stays in the car trunk (just in case).

Wedding (for reception and other candids, and similar events):
The 35mm gear, medium format gear, studio lights, stands and umbrellas add up to a good size load, so I keep the OM stuff carried in to a minimum. OM-4 with 50/1.2 and OM-2S with 50/1.4 standard "body caps." In addition, I typically pack the 35-105/3.5~4.5, 85/2 and 135/2.8, although the 50mm lenses receive the brunt of the workload. I use the 85/2 and occasionally the 135/2.8 for available light shots during the ceremony from the back. The zoom can be tough to use for reception work after the lights go down for dancing as it is a slower lens that creates a dimmer viewfinder making focusing more difficult in low light. Have used it in brightly lit receptions though (mid-afternoon stuff in rooms with enormous windows). The bag also holds a Metz 40 MZ flash head with OM and generic SCA modules. Items such as the flash bracket and spare mondo potato-masher flash handles go into a separate bag. All the rest of the OM system is in a Tamrac Superlight 9 in the car trunk for even more backup. The entire load of camera gear is on site, but I carry in only what I need with a first line of backup. The M645, two lenses and film inserts for it are in yet another small bag, and the lighting stuff is in yet another bag, but they're only used for altar returns.

Blues concerts in small, dimly lit clubs:
This demands fast lenses for shooting "available darkness" in spite of using TMax P3200 or Delta 3200 at EI 1600. Even though the bands are typically on a riser they are lit by about a dozen standard floods with colored filters and the dimmer control for them is usually put at about half power by the light/sound guy. He has a penchant for very low lighting which requires prodding him occasionally to crank up the lights just a little. Favored aperture is f/2.8 for a little more DOF, as long as shutter speed is at least 1/30th. I pack the OM-4 with 50/1.2 and OM-2S with 50/1.4 standard "body caps." The 85/2 is packed and receives the brunt of the workload with a few shots done using the 50mm. The 35/2 is also thrown in just in case I want a fast wide, but have yet to use it. The OM-2S is the backup body.

General daytime, outdoor "walk-around" stuff (no architecturals or night shooting): OM-4 with 50/1.2 "body cap" loaded with Kodachrome 64, and OM-2S with 50/1.4 "body cap" loaded with Scala 200X (or Plus-X Pan, Ilford FP4 or Delta 100). Additional lenses: 24/2, 35-105/3.5~4.5 and 135/2.8. Included are a Metz 40 MZ with G15 flash handle (similar to BG-2), and a Winder 2, plus extra film in the side pockets. Add the 2X-A TC to use with the 135/2.8 for something like an airshow. In severe cold, the OM-4 is sometimes replaced with the OM-1n.

Urban night street shooting:
Same as daytime load, except ditch the 35-105 slower zoom and heave in the 24/2 and 35/2 fast lenses. Also load the bodies up with ISO 200 to ISO 400 Ektachrome or Fujichrome and Tri-X.

Architecturals (day and night):
Same as daytime load, but add the 35/2.8 Shift in place of the Winder 2, ensure cable release is on board, and sling the tripod over the shoulder too. Sometimes throw in a roll of Ektachrome 160T for night stuff; been known to use Portra 160 NC at night too. In severe cold, the OM-2S is replaced with the mechanical OM-1n.

-- John