RE: [OM] off topic .. need advice on Netscape 6

Subject: RE: [OM] off topic .. need advice on Netscape 6
From: "Olaf Greve" <o.greve@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2002 10:14:21 +0100
Hi John,

> I need some advice from anyone familiar will Netscape 6, or whatever the
> latest version is. I presently use Netscape 4.7 and Outlook Express 6

O.k., some of the things you probably wanted to know have already been
answered, but if there's anything in particular you'd still like to know,
let me know (the safest bet is probably off-list, as I nowadays have severe
difficulties in catching up with the list).

In short:
NS 4.x: heavily outdated, strongly lacks decent W3C support, in particular
to the CSS model.
NS 6.x: MUCH better than NS 4.x on the above, close to IE's level of W3C and
CSS support
NS 7: I haven't had it for long, but it seems to be somewhat more compliant
even than NS6.x
I.E. 4-6: These all have very good W3C (and CSS) support, hence their
popularity with web developers. Try to avoind version 5.0x, as these have
some peculiar bugs (for these reasons I use one of those versions for
testing my web-apps ;) ).
Mozilla: great browser, especially if you like the NS 4.x look and feel.
Very good W3C and CSS support, comparable to NS 6.x and NS 7. I think their
latest version is 1.1
Opera: Nice and fast, W3C and CSS support is decent (better in Opera 6 than
in Opera 5), but somehow the browser tends to render pages somewhat
differently than in the other above mentioned browsers.

Conclusion: if you don't have anything against IE, go for that one (version
6 would be my recommendation), note: this advice is coming from someone who
is not particularly keen on MS products! OTOH, if you really like the NS 4.x
look and feel, go for Mozilla.

Cheers!
Olafo