Re: [OM] OT: recommendation for an OM vacation

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: recommendation for an OM vacation
From: dreammoose <dreammoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2002 23:22:32 -0800
All the great costal areas are nice in winter. If you hit them between storms, it's often warmer and less windy than in the summer fog season. And there are so many less people there causing endless traffic and generally clogging things up. During storms, at least in the lulls between actual downpours, the coast is really spectacular. I've spent winter holiday time in San Simeon (Gotta see the Castle if you haven't yet, and less crowded in winter.Internet reservations), Morro Bay (Fabulous avian photo ops back up the esturary, and elephant seals the last winter I was there.), Big Sur (PBS broadcast a "Living Edens" special on Big Sur tonight.), Capitola , Bodega Bay, Gualala, Ft. Bragg, etc. Some places several times. Photo ops vary with the weather, but are often more spectacular than the same places in summer. All of the really great places to stay are undoubtedly booked for the holidays, but you might find something nearby. I went up to Mendocino in winter on a whim years ago and got a motel in Ft. Bragg for practically nothing. It turned out that the view out over Noyo Harbor from our little balcony at the back was fabulous and quite photogenic. San Diego is pretty decent, warmer and with lots of kid stuff to do. Mexican places like Cabo, Mazatlan, P.V. are nice, but I can't imagine there's much available for that week this late.

You might check out Yosemite. It'll be booked solid, but they do have cancellations and the internet reservation site is real time, so those who keep checking, sometimes come up winners. I know you aren't booking for snow and cold, but Yosemite in winter is just spectacular. The air is MUCH clearer between storms than you ever get in the summer/fall, so many of the endless photogenic views are better in winter.

Moose

Richard F. Man wrote:

Looks like we will have a few days to ourselves between Xmas and New Year. Looking for recommendations for places for some R&R, hiking, and of course OM photo opportunities. We don't like cold too much and don't ski. Preferably not too far from California. I am looking into may be hiking part of the Grand Canyon (saw it 2 Winters ago for the first time, hiked a few hundred yards...), and we can always go to the old standby like Calistoga.

Thanks for any advice.