[OM] re: Colorado pictures

Subject: [OM] re: Colorado pictures
From: Mark Marr-Lyon <markml@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 21:03:22 -0700
Mike <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Beautiful photos. CO mountains are sure big but not very sharp.

Thanks! Yes, especially in this area, the mountains are very massive (one is even named Mt. Massive, 14,421 feet - 2nd highest in CO), but not the knife edges you can find in the Cascades.

And when the sun isn't in the picture your own shadow is. A

Very true!

strategically placed tree or rock helps. Fortunately the 16 seems to
handle flare very well. The other limitation is the fact that the
horizon must be dead center and level to minimize distortion which is
not the best for composition. But you can crop, kinda like a poor man's

My 16 is a silvernose, and I believe single coated, but it does seem to do ok with flare. It was there, but not terribly distracting. I did cheat on the mountain a bit, and point the lens slightly downward to get a slight curvature to the horizon, trying to emphasize how high up we were :-)

shift. I hesitated before throwing the 16mm in the bag on the hike I
took in Oct. I usually take a 21mm but am glad I had the wide wide.
Normally a two lens kit is the most I pack on a hike. The 16 has now
earned a spot. Fits in a pocket. I used a wide rubberband to keep the
slip on cap secure, got to protect all that glass.

Yes, I'm very glad I brought mine along too. I kept mine in a case (not the original, but an Oly one for an unknown lens that it fits in pretty well), but the rubber band is a good idea too. The 21 is one of my favorite lenses and couldn't possibly remain home. That's the great thing about the OM system - a body and 4 of the smaller lenses really doesn't weigh all that much, and it's not too great a burden to add to the pack. Maybe someone else knows for sure, but I'm not aware of another system's full-frame fisheye that even comes close to the size and weight of the Oly one.

Mark Marr-Lyon