[OM] Oly needs to speed up

Subject: [OM] Oly needs to speed up
From: suchismit@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 18:11:28 +0000
After Oly lost the pro film SLR market to the heavywights, they focused
on toy cameras which sold well. They had another oppurtunity to catch up
with them, and even without the burden of having to keep up on a full fledged
line of SLRs,looks like they are going to be left behind on this one as well.

No, let me correct that.. they have made no real headway in digital SLRs
*because* they don't have a full line of AF film SLRs as a base to build upon.
They are starting from a scratch. And lenses need more time to build  than
bodies. I was reading in the Nikon Lens handbook that just processing the glass
for some of the lenses can take upto 6 months or more. No wonder OLy is
desperate for other lens makers to support their upcoming system. I think
they are on the right track but well behind schedule.

But then if you are on the right track but behind schedule in such a fiercely
competitive business, you are no longer on the right track...

-Tim