[OM] re: Colorado pictures

Subject: [OM] re: Colorado pictures
From: Mike <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 08:54:31 -0800
Beautiful photos. CO mountains are sure big but not very sharp.

> .....Second, when you're 14,420 feet above sea
> level, the ONLY lens to use is the 16/3.5!  (How's that for being an
> enabler?)  Maybe someday I'll even figure out how to use it without
> getting the sun in (or nearly so) the picture.....

And when the sun isn't in the picture your own shadow is. A
strategically placed tree or rock helps. Fortunately the 16 seems to
handle flare very well. The other limitation is the fact that the
horizon must be dead center and level to minimize distortion which is
not the best for composition. But you can crop, kinda like a poor man's
shift. I hesitated before throwing the 16mm in the bag on the hike I
took in Oct. I usually take a 21mm but am glad I had the wide wide.
Normally a two lens kit is the most I pack on a hike. The 16 has now
earned a spot. Fits in a pocket. I used a wide rubberband to keep the
slip on cap secure, got to protect all that glass.

Mike
--
Latitude 48° 32' North, Longitude 123° 7' West