Re: [OM] Leonids, anyone?

Subject: Re: [OM] Leonids, anyone?
From: "W. J. Liles" <wliles@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 19:40:39 -0600
The morning of the 18th was clear and dry as it ever gets in Louisiana
and I was pumped, expecting a clear night and morning for the meteors on
Tuesday.  7pm it rained.  Got up at 02:00 on the 19th.  Cloudy with fog
and a bright moon shining through the clouds.  Despite that I went out
to Black Bayou to get away from the city lights, just in case.  By 03:00
there was a hole in the clouds right over Leo but the ground fog was at
nose level.  By 04:00 The hole was much bigger and the fog had receded
to the knees.  Despite the moon and clouds and fog the Leonids did not
disappoint.  At one point there was a trail at least every second,
sometimes two or three flying in formation.  Not as many really bright
ones as last year (probably due to washout from the moon glare) but
there were enough.  No pictures; I would have needed a Nikonos in those
conditions.

Jerry Liles