[OM] Is 4x6 the real standard?

Subject: [OM] Is 4x6 the real standard?
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 15:32:47 -0800 (PST)
Are 4x6 prints the real standard for comparision?  Have we
reduced ourselved to this point?

The average "consumer" is fat, dumb and happy with cheezeball
prints from "disposables", 320x160 pixel digitals, Poloroid
prints and <hack, hack> Kodak "Disk Cameras".  We're better than
that, folks!  We're a special breed--we shoot OMs.

If all you are interested in is 4x6 prints, you are not worthy
of the OM system.  Period.  You're a show-off, a techno-weenie
or a wannabe.  Get a digital camera (anything will do) or
wonderwidget camera.  Why?  Because at 4x6 or smaller, you will
never see a reason to shoot film faster than ISO 800.  You will
never need a super-wide-angle lens as the detail is so small
you'd never make out what you photographed anyway.

The quality of the pictures from nearly any camera will be
acceptable to all but the pickiest of us at 4x6.  Who cares
about MC vs SC lenses or which serial number of 50/1.8 is
sharpest.  It's all meaningless!  It's like getting all carried
away over multi-spot exposure control with the OM-4Ti when you
are just shooting Kodak MAX anyway.

We OM users need to be a special breed.  Stop limiting our
"output" to the least common demoninator.  Get out of the rut
and buy photo albums that take 5x7 and 8x10 sheet inserts.  Buy
enlargements and hang them on your walls.  Get into visualizing
the final outcome other than a small machine print from
Wal-Mart.  Shoot B&W!

There's nothing like a nice 11x14 to grace the walls to make you
appreciate WHY we shoot with the OM system.  Frankly, I don't
like 8x10 prints--they're too small.

If you limit your "world", anything will do.  If you're happy
with what you are currently getting, you are not expecting
enough from yourself or your photography.

Ask yourself this question:  Are you "Zuiko-worthy?"

AG-Schnozz