[OM] Film scanners and printers

Subject: [OM] Film scanners and printers
From: Stephen Scharf <scharfsj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 22:35:57 -0800
Cc: Scharfsj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2002 18:52:36 -0800
From: "R. Jackson" <jackson.robert.r@xxxxxxxxx>

I'm not sure how close to on-topic this is, but since I plan on
scanning negatives and slides I shoot with my Oly stuff and then print
the results it's at least tangentially related. ;-)

Anyone had any experiences with film scanners or "photo" printers
they'd like to share? Also, I'm a Mac user running OS-X, so drivers are
an issue. Any Mac people blissfully happy with some gear you're using
currently?

- -Rob

Rob,
I did a lot of research on this recently as I just bought a film scanner. After a lot of review, I ended up buying a Minolta Dimage Scan Elite II. I am very happy with it, and one of the reasons is that I like the software it comes with. For $799 it is the best value on the market when you consider dynamic range, resolution, 16-bits/channel, and it comes with Applied Science Fiction's Digital ICE, ROC and GEM. Also bundled with Photoshop Elements. I have been getting excellent output with it. It got an outstanding review at Imaging-resource.com: http://www.imaging-resource.com/SCAN/DSEII/DSEIIA.HTM. I've also have very good results with scanning negative film. I like the software for the scanner quite a bit.

To see an example, you can go here: http://photos.imageevent.com/puma_cat/motorcycles/large/ChandlerT6Crop2.jpg

The prints I get on a $99 Epson 820 are just stunning.

If you don't want to spend 800 bucks, Minolta has just released the new Dimage III which will sell for well less than $400. It got a very positive review on Image-Resource.com (http://www.imaging-resource.com/SCAN/DSEIII/DSEIIIA.HTM), and judging from the review they gave of my Minolta Scan Elite II and my own experiences, it sounds like a *killer* deal. I think it is the same scanner as the Scan Elite II, but w/o the Applied Science Fiction capabilities/firmware. For less than 1/2 the price of it's nearest competition (the Scan Elite II) or the Nikon Coolscan IV ED, it has be to be the best film scanner for money on the planet.

Hope this helps,
Stephen.
--

2001 CBR600F4i - Fantastic!