Re: [OM] The best Third Party zoom lenses.

Subject: Re: [OM] The best Third Party zoom lenses.
From: GMcGrath@xxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 16 Nov 2002 23:09:03 EST
I'll have to put in a word for the Tamron SP 35-80/2.8-3.8. It's a great
midrange zoom with excellent close-focus ability (to 1:2.5) and a large
maximum aperture for easy focusing and selective-focus shots. Herbert Keppler
gushed over this lens in the old Modern Photography mag. The Tokina AT-X
28-85/3.5-4.5 is also a very good lens, a little longer on both ends of the
zoom range than the Tamron, but doesn't focus as close in macro (only to
1:3.9). I also really like my Tokina AT-X 100-300/4.

For those who don't know about it, Robert Monaghan's "Cult Classics in Third
Party Lenses" site is a treasure trove of information.
http://people.smu.edu/rmonagha/third/cult.html

Greg