Re: [OM] OM-2 flash operation

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-2 flash operation
From: "Carlos J. Santisteban Salinas" <cjss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2002 23:59:44 +0100
>All this flash talk has me wondering about the early version on the
>OM-2.  if one has it set on AUTO for a speed below 1/60, will it use
>that shutter speed, then control the flash output?

No, it will expose for 1/60, UNLESS the flash cannot achieve correct
exposure -- then the shutter will stay open until film is properly exposed.

Everything happens as follows: when you press the shutter release, mirror
flips up and both the first curtain and OTF metering start. If there's
light enough for a correct exposure _shorter_ than 1/60, the second curtain
starts closing _before_ the first curtain is fully open, preventing the
flash from firing. Otherwise, after about 1/60 the first curtain is fully
open, the flash fires and when correct exposure is achieved, the camera
sends _the same_ signal to close the shutter (2nd curtain) _and_ quench the
flash output. If a full dump of the flash doesn't get the right exposure,
the "future" flash-quench signal will have no effect, but at the same time
the shutter will close.

BTW, with the OM-2 lever at "OFF", there's still OTF-TTL exposure control,
even with flash. But if the flash output is not enough, the shutter will be
open no more than 1/30 s. Everything else will be the same as in "AUTO".

Carlos Santisteban

<cjss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
<cjsantis@xxxxxxxx>