Re: [OM] T32 question

Subject: Re: [OM] T32 question
From: suchismit@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 04 Nov 2002 20:05:28 +0000
What you report can be considered a classic case study
with regards to flash sync operation !

Normal sequence of events in Auto mode:

1. Camera automatically sets shutter speed to 1/60s.
   (This is the max speed possible (OM)where the shutter
   curtains would be fully open when the flash fires)
   When the shutter is tripped, right curtain moves
   from  the left end to the right end,shutter is wide
open,
   flash fires, after adequate exposure camera turns
   the flash off and the left curtain starts to move to
   the right, bringing the show to an end. Total
exposure duration at
   any point on the frame = 1/60s, regardless of flash
   duration.

What happened in your case :

 At any speeds higher than 1/60s (OM), the left shutter
curtain will start to close (ie move to the right)
*before* the right shutter curtain has completely opened,
(ie before it has reached the right end of the frame).
How soon that happens depends on the shutter speed. At
1/125th it will be like a slit moving to the right, with
a width roughly equal to half the frame width. In other
words when the right curtain has completely opened the
left curtain has already half closed. At 1/250th, the
slit width would be about 1/4 that of the frame.

I believe the flash fires when the  right curtain has
completely opened,regardless of the left curtain's
position. So in your case the left curtain must have
been 3/4 closed already leaving only the right 1/4 of
the frame to see the flash go off. Of course it fired
at full power, and as a result of the flash/subject
distance and aperture setting, the frame got overexposed.

Can you be more specific as to what fraction of the
right side of the frame got overexposed ?

-Tim