Re: [OM] Following discussion of discontinuing of the OM series

Subject: Re: [OM] Following discussion of discontinuing of the OM series
From: "R. Jackson" <jackson.robert.r@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 08:47:40 -0800
One of my teachers was talking about chemical photography and how it was the only art form that's arc was really around a century long. There were many pioneers in the field doing work (long) before the 20th century, but chemical photography as a mainstream art form really emerged at the start of the 20th century and began to wane at the start of the 21st. The acceleration of technology, I guess.

I appreciate and enjoy a lot of the things that digital photography can accomplish and even though I shoot my student films on Super-8, I have them transferred to Mini-DV and edit them on my Apple. I also tend to scan photos and use the "digital darkroom" of Photoshop to retouch them, resize them for sharing via email and play with the images in ways I'd never take the time to do if I was doing it all chemically and optically.

My take is that both chemical and digital imaging still work pretty well together. I'd hate to make do without either, personally. The day will eventually come when film can't do anything that digital can't, but that day isn't here yet and I don't imagine it will be here this decade (or at least not in the hands of guys like me who can't drop tens of thousands of dollars on cutting-edge Hollywood toys).

Sorry if this was too far OT. Just my two cents.

-Rob