Re: [OM] Yellow Jacket

Subject: Re: [OM] Yellow Jacket
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 06:53:31 -0600
At 08:24 PM 21/10/2002 -0500, Dean Hansen wrote:

[snip]

   Actually, that's pretty much how a colony of 30-40,000 honey bees
makes it through one of our Minnesota winters. They form a "cluster" the
size of a basketball in the hive, with the outermost bees closely
huddled together to prevent loss of heat from the cluster.  Consumption
of about 5 pounds of honey/month through the dead of winter can keep the
temperature in the center of the cluster, where the bees are active and
more widely spaced, in the 80-90 degree range.  Sorry, but I used to
keep over 600 colonies of bees, and with the OT verbage of the last
couple posts, I though this non-OM tidbit wouldn't bee too far off base.

That's actually quite cool info.  The things I learn on this List...

Garth