[OM] Build quality differences between OM10/OM20/OM30/OM40

Subject: [OM] Build quality differences between OM10/OM20/OM30/OM40
From: Dan Lau <dlau@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 18:44:43 -0700 (PDT)
I know what the feature differences are between these
"consumer" grade models, but if I want to get a camera for
someone who is just starting out on learning photography (i.e.,
strictly manual mode metering, with some auto exposure once in
a while), is there any real differences between these models?

I will probably avoid the OM10 because of the oily magnet
problem and the need for a separate manual module.  I gave my
OM40 (OM/PC) to my son to use and I've been very pleased with
that body -- except for a minor light leak problem.  And now I
am looking to acquire another inexpensive "consumer" grade body
to help someone else learn photography.  If I don't care for
the "focus assist" of the OM30 (OM/F), is there any difference
between it and the OM20 (OM/G) or OM40? In other words, should
my buying decision between the OM20/OM30/OM40 be purely based
on the price (all things being equal)?

I know these consumer models also share many components, so
between the OM20 (OM/G), the OM30 (OM/F) and OM40 (OM/PC), is
one more robust than another?  I've noticed there are more OM20
and OM40 for sale than OM30, so maybe I can get lucky with a
bargain if I aim for an OM30.  Thanks.
        -Dan