Re: [OM] Build quality differences between OM10/OM20/OM30/OM40

Subject: Re: [OM] Build quality differences between OM10/OM20/OM30/OM40
From: dreammoose <dreammoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 23:42:22 -0700
The 30 is too weird and takes extra batteries. Extra circuitry and function that isn't to be used is just more stuff to go wrong.

The 10 with SN >1,000,000 has the same magnet setup as the 20 and 40, much less prone to sticky magnet syndrome than the earlier 10s, but not entirely immune. The placement of the magnets makes cleaning it much easier too. There are also other reliability/performance enhancements on the >1,000,000 OM-10s.

The 20/G is still a nicer camera, as it doesn't need an add on part to do manual. It's often cheaper than a 10 plus manual adapter anyway. The OMPC is my favorite. they brought over TTL flash, aperture and mirror pre-fire from the OM-4, program mode from the 2sp, and added ESP metering, which is really good for backlit and frontlit situations.

None of these cameras is likely to be as reliable as a single digit OM.

Moose

Dan Lau wrote:

I know what the feature differences are between these
"consumer" grade models, but if I want to get a camera for
someone who is just starting out on learning photography (i.e.,
strictly manual mode metering, with some auto exposure once in
a while), is there any real differences between these models?

I will probably avoid the OM10 because of the oily magnet
problem and the need for a separate manual module.  I gave my
OM40 (OM/PC) to my son to use and I've been very pleased with
that body -- except for a minor light leak problem.  And now I
am looking to acquire another inexpensive "consumer" grade body
to help someone else learn photography.  If I don't care for
the "focus assist" of the OM30 (OM/F), is there any difference
between it and the OM20 (OM/G) or OM40? In other words, should
my buying decision between the OM20/OM30/OM40 be purely based
on the price (all things being equal)?

I know these consumer models also share many components, so
between the OM20 (OM/G), the OM30 (OM/F) and OM40 (OM/PC), is
one more robust than another?  I've noticed there are more OM20
and OM40 for sale than OM30, so maybe I can get lucky with a
bargain if I aim for an OM30.  Thanks.
        -Dan