Re: [OM] best lenses for reproduction

Subject: Re: [OM] best lenses for reproduction
From: dreammoose <dreammoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 18:21:24 -0700
I have used both the 50/3.5 MC and the Tamron 90/2.5 (52B, with 49mm filter thread) for lots of flat subject copy work and been pleased with the results. I'm sure there are other lenses, both Zuiko and third party that would work well, but my personal experience is limited to these two. They are also two of the more reasonably priced lenses for this purpose. I've never felt any need for something else for such work.

I generally worked close to f8. At middle apertures, both have excellent sharpness and nice flat fields.(Not to say they don't at other apertures, I just didn't check.) Contrast and color depends a lot on lighting. I worked mostly with Ektachrome 160T and flood lights. Contrast seemed normal. Color was perfectly adequate for the purpose of projecting in university classrooms, where projector, lighting, screen color, etc. introduce all kinds of variance anyway. For accurate, repeatable color, I assume flash would work better, as floods change color temp as they age. They have the advantage of simple setup to avoid reflections and simple exposure without a lot of testing. Since some of my work went into the macro range where exposure compensation would come into play, TTL metering was a blessing. I got fine exposures and overall results from the first roll. But you have studio flash with modeling lights and a flash meter, no?

Moose

Robert Gries wrote:

Does anyone have any opinions on the best lens for flat work and/or
painting reproduction?  Has anyone tried the 80/4 on a 14mm tube?  I am
looking for accurate color, sharpness, and normal contrast.