Re: [OM] Mirror lock-up question

Subject: Re: [OM] Mirror lock-up question
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 12:24:04 -0700
Hey all,

I have been using my om1n for many years for astrophotography.  On the
weekend though I tried something.  Without the mirror lock, I do get some
vibration problems.  However, with my N*kon F80, which has no such wonderful
feature, there was no problem.  Are today's "modern" shutters just that much
better for eliminating vibration?  Nobody offers MLU anymore.

-Bill

Some are, I think. Light alloy metal shutter blades are very light and stop more in sequence rather than all at once like a shutter curtain resulting in less of a jerk. The OMs all use air dampeners on the mirrors. Nikon was using a mirror counter weight on some models that rotated in the opposite direction from the mirror in an attempt to cancel the twisting torque caused by the acceleration of the mirror. One of disappointments with Oly was that even with a manual focus camera there was still further development that could have been done and marketed if they had been focused.

If you look at Gary Reese's lens test page you will see that although mirror lock up was done there is more vibration with the OM1 than with the OM4 which prefires the mirror and the aperture with the auto timer. It is the auto aperture mechanism that is giving you the vibration.
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California