Re: [OM] Mirror lock-up question

Subject: Re: [OM] Mirror lock-up question
From: "Gareth.J.Martin" <g.j.martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 10:33:18 +0100
Hello Bill,
I bought my OM-1n with the sole purpose of Astrophotography too, but now I do much more landscape photography and stick with visual telescopic observing. When I get my observatory I think I'll do a bit more astrophotography though. Anyway.... I found when the mirror was not locked up you do get a beefy but satisfying clash when you fire the shutter. I've never noticed much vibration but I have heard reports from my friends with OM-1n's that they are troubled with some vibration of their scopes. Most attribute it to their mounts not being of sufficient strength and size for my telescope. This could be one of your problems (not knowing what scope you have). There could also be a problem with the virbational damping of your scope and it may be wise to invest in some vibration suppression pads to rest your scope on. However I dare say that newer cameras have much smoother shutter actions, probably as they are electric (which is a bad, bad thing for astrophotography as I dare say you well know!). If you want I would try to beef up your mount and add some vibration supression pads (Celestron used to do a good line in these pads, but I'm not exactly sure they still do) and this might do the trick, as well as making visual observing a much better experience than it already is! Hope this tome of mine helps!

All the best,
Gareth.

Hey all,

I have been using my om1n for many years for astrophotography.  On the
weekend though I tried something.  Without the mirror lock, I do get some
vibration problems.  However, with my N*kon F80, which has no such wonderful
feature, there was no problem.  Are today's "modern" shutters just that much
better for eliminating vibration?  Nobody offers MLU anymore.

-Bill