[OM] HTML and Excessive Quoting (was: Rant)

Subject: [OM] HTML and Excessive Quoting (was: Rant)
From: "CyberSimian" <CyberSimian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 16:55:11 -0000
Original message:
> Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2002 15:09:05 -0700
> From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: [OM] Rant
>
> Instead of the rant trying to change human behavior and continued
> unhappiness over the digest why not get the individual messages and
> html will not be a problem.  The individual messages are MUCH easier
> to manage than a digest
> - --
> Winsor Crosby
> Long Beach, California

Sorry Winsor, but I have to agree with Mike on this one.  Until recently I
received individual messages.  Then the BT Internet mail server threw a
wobbly and (I think) started returning messages to the Zuiko mailing list
server, which changed my subscription to digest mode.  As I am going on
holiday in a week's time, I did not change it back.

Although not as convenient for following particular threads, digest mode has
the advantage of being less RSI-inducing.  With individual mail items, you
click on the mail item in the upper window (Outlook Express on Win2K), move
the mouse to the lower window, thumbwheel-scroll over screenfuls of
excessive quoting to find the one-line "Me too" at the end, then move the
mouse back to the upper window, then click on the next mail item, then move
the mouse back to the bottom window, then thumbwheel-scroll over screenfuls
of excessive quoting, then...  You get the picture.

With the digest, you select the digest in the lower window, and then simply
press the "Page Down" key repeatedly to scroll through the entire digest.
As I suffer from RSI in my forearms due to mouse usage, this (I have now
realised) is an important advantage for me, so I will probably stay with
digest mode after I return from holiday.

So please everyone:

(1)  Avoid excessive quoting
(2)  Avoid HTML.

Thank you.