Re: [OM] ( OM ) Re: to html or not

Subject: Re: [OM] ( OM ) Re: to html or not
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 08:52:38 -0700

The advantages of the digest is that the inbox is MUCH less crowded. In
these days of multiple spam and virus messages, I like to delete suspect
mail on the ISP server before it gets anywhere near my machine. It takes
some time to wade through the lot and cull out the chaff. Knowing that the
digest should be free of spam and active viruses means probably that I save
15 minutes a day of valuable connected time not having to go through the list
as with a fine-tooth comb looking for nits.

I'm sorry that some people are forced to pass on html. If that happened to
me, I'd have a short sharp message for the cretins who imposed it, and go
elsewhere, pronto. I guess I'm fortunate with my choice of ISP. I certainly
telephone them at intervals and congratulate them on their excellent anti-
virus screening.

Brian

I am really surprised at the number of people who, apparently, are unfamiliar with the advantages of even a middling email reader compared to the one included with their browser. The labor people cite for separate messages is nonexistent with any stand alone reader updated in the last 10 years.

Here is a sequence of events with Eudora. Receive new message from Oly list. Do one time set up of a separate mailbox and filter in about 45 seconds. Check mail again later and In box opens with no Oly messages. Oly box opens simultaneously with just Oly messages. Click on subject column and all Oly messages are sorted by subject. Trash the "My Sport Ute Easts Subarus for Breakfast, Ugh, Ugh" messages without opening them. Read the messages you want to read by subject or if you want, in the order they came in. Tap the space bar to page down, tap again to close message and open the next one. No scrolling. No html.

The same sorting and filter tools are available if you wish to view the just the headers on the server. There is no need to wade through them one by one. You can sort them by subject and delete the ones you are not interested in.

Just to clarify. I believe that the list software strips viruses from all list messages not just the digest.I have only had occasional spam messages on the list. The digest form does not prevent spam.

You can make your life easier.
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California