Re: [OM] Request for help/ideas/advice re: Grand Canyon, Four Corners

Subject: Re: [OM] Request for help/ideas/advice re: Grand Canyon, Four Corners
From: "Gary Edwards" <garyetx@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2002 21:23:19 -0500
----- Original Message -----
From: "Garth Wood" <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> 2. What's to do around Santa Fe?  I've got the guidebooks, but I'd like
recommendations from any and all who know of good photographic
opportunities.

Taos Canyon and the Bridge, the Indian vendors (turquoise, silver) on the
patio at the Governor's Palace, showy rich folk turning their noses up at
the tourists. . .

> 4. Any other suggestions as to where to go?  (Obvious good-natured insults
get sent to /dev/null/).

Monument Valley!  Arches NP (bit of a drive, but wonderful), Monument
Valley, Mesa Verde, Monument Valley, Sedona.  Did I mention Monument Valley?

> 5. Hotels/motels that were your favourites?

Gouldings Lodge in Monument Valley if you can get in. Nothing special, but
you won't have to get up quite as early for sunrise.  Otherwise it's a dusty
Holiday Inn in Kayenta, an hour (? been a while) south, or a small, dustier
still, motel 45 minutes north.

Bring the tripod (you don't have to carry it all of the time, but you'll
appreciate it for the marvelous sunrises and sunsets and long twilights).
Consider at least one longer lens (100-135-200) or slow zoom (sheep herded
across a hill, golden eagle on a windmill, aspen turning across the
valley....)  I've done pleanty of traveling with film recently - not as bad
as you think, if you ask politely and firmly.  Bigger hassle, regardless of
film, and inescapable, are the idiotic "random" searches at security and at
the gate. Pick mothers with babes in arms, doddering old guys with camera
bags, etc. far to often to be random.  I avoid eye contact with the
screeners looking for easy prey at the gate.

Have fun, Garth.  November is an excellent time up there.  Wear sunscreen
and a hat, be prepared for sudden cold or rain.

Gary