Re: [OM] north africa

Subject: Re: [OM] north africa
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2002 13:32:48 -0700
Travel OM advice wanted:

I'll be in Morocco for a 5 cities in 5 days tour mid november. It will be a
guided tour, which is not really my thing, but it's a kind of gift from my
boss, so I won't complain!

I'll take my OM 4 and probably the 21f3.5, 35 shift, 40f2 in the bus, 50f1.4
for the bazars, 85f2 and maybe, maybe a 90 macro, probably not the 24 shift.

-snip
Ivert

I like tours. With a good one you learn more and see more than any other way. It can very difficult to do photography on a tour though. You don't have time to fiddle with lots of lens changing and the opportunities provided for you are frequently chosen to provide someone with the cheapest camera opportunity for a good picture. I go very light. The 35 shift and the 40/2 as well as the 85/2 and 90 are essentially duplicates in focal length and close in maximum aperture. I also do not find much opportunity for macro on a tour, the available close focus of a regular lens being enough. I have a screw on close up lens which also has an advantage of not reducing light to the film the way maximum extension on a macro does. I would take the 21, 40, 50, 85, and a close up lens. It will be very light and easy to use and you will probably get more good pix than you would with more equipment.
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California