Fw: [OM] shift lenses; plastic lenses; bellows factor

Subject: Fw: [OM] shift lenses; plastic lenses; bellows factor
From: "C.H.Ling" <chling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2002 09:16:50 +0800
Below is from Gary Reese:

----- Original Message -----
From: "Gary Reese"

*********
Julian D. writes:

<< Don't know about this, but it [a 200ss in focal length with the 50mm
f/2] seems a bit
strange. From memory, the extension available on the 50/2 is roughly the
same as the 50/3.5,
and since both go to 1:2, this would imply that the 50/3.5 also gets
shorter in f. I haven't heard that this is the case. I Could be wrong, or
just plain
ignorant, but something seems odd! >>

Most manufacturer's of internal focusing and/or floating element lenses
don't state the
focal length at close focus distance. It works against them to do so,
although it could be
considered a positive that the bellows effect wouldn't be as great close up.
You have to
read the camera magazine reviews to find out how bad the focal length loss
is.

Popular Photography determined that the 50mm f/2 Macro Zuiko is 40mm at 1:2
magnification.
To the best of my knowledge no one has ever published the data for the 50mm
f/3.5 Macro
Zuiko, but your guess that it would be the same is probably on target.  The
trouble is that
you brilliantly inferred a relationship betwen the f/2 and f/3.5 lenses, but
then doubted
your logic.

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV