RE: [OM] more macro questions

Subject: RE: [OM] more macro questions
From: Andre Goforth <andregoanon@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 11:39:45 -0700 (PDT)
--- Mike <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > what "real" difference does it make?  The AE OM's
> TTL exposure will handle...
> >
> says skip who:
>
> > prefer(s) to throw hardware at the problem instead
> of figuring it out
> >
> Skip, I've been doing the same thing. The difference
> is not in the
> actual photography but in the $$$ it takes to get
> there. For example,
> how does an 85/2 + tubes compare with the 90/2? What
> does that extra
> $600 really buy? Or a better example might be the
> 135/2.8 + tubes vs the
> 135/4.5. For someone on a budget this could mean
> significant amounts of
> cash. (that could be spent on an 18/3.5 or a 24mm
> shift or a....)
SNIP

IMHO, The 90m f2 Zuiko is worth getting period. All
the other combinations may work but may be mediocre. (
I was lucky to unload one from Gary Schnoss(pardon my
misspelling????) at a very fair/reasonable/cheap price
a few years ago. (I'm still waiting for something to
go wrong with it...but it hasn't) It is the most
stunning lens I've run across for both portrait and
macro. I have an 85 f2. Damn fine lens. A lot lighter
than the "moose". But as one Oly list subscriber once
waxed over his 300f 4.5: it has halos around it when
he polishes it. Ditto for the 90 f2

Andre

PS Any mooses out there should be aware that my
referral to lens as moosey is a term of endearment.
Another term is big iron. But this term not be
politically correct for some folks that don't remember
the days of yore in computers when main frames and
Cray computers were referred to as such.