Re: [OM] Four Thirds System

Subject: Re: [OM] Four Thirds System
From: Chris Barker <imagopus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 21:04:20 +0100
I thought that the 4/3 related to the proportions, rather than
absolute dimensions: 4:3 ratio.  It was reported as such in the
latest Amateur Photographer.

Chris

At 10:41 -0500 24/09/02, Jay Maynard wrote:
On Tue, Sep 24, 2002 at 11:18:32AM -0400, Tom Scales wrote:
 In my case, full frame, or close to it, is important because I prefer
 wide-angle lenses -- 21, 18, 16.
 No way could I ever afford the glass to do 16 well on a 4/3" sensor.

Why should it be any harder, though, to do a 12mm focal length lens with a
4/3" image circle than a 16mm focal length with a 1.8 inch image circle?
Some very respected names in lensmaking have been building optics for
smaller formats for years with nice wide angles of view, as well as larger
formats with longer focal lengths - a 38mm lens for 6x6 is no piece of cake
either. In all three cases, flange-to-film distance is the same obstacle:
that 16mm Zuiko is considerably more than 16mm from the film plane.

--
<|_:-)_|>

C M I Barker
Cambridgeshire, Great Britain.