RE: [OM] Digital photography article

Subject: RE: [OM] Digital photography article
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 14:34:00 -0700 (PDT)
IMHO, Digital has its place:

--News/sports/event photography where the next day the picture
is lining the bird cage.

--Special events, like a baby being born, where proud pappa
might "SUPPLEMENT" the film camera with a digital camera to get
instant pictures to be emailed to friends and family. (we used
video--placenta anyone?).

--Commercial photography where film is just a technology used as
part of the process.

--E*bay listings.

Eventually, digital will replace film for all but a few specific
uses.  I'm concerned that my next camera system purchase will be
obsoleted the moment I buy it.  But as I continue to carve my
own way, I guess that I could create my own market using
whatever technology I choose. So I guess that I could go ahead
and buy that new Contax 645AF system with confidence.

While on Isle Royale several weeks ago, I ran into a couple of
digital shooters.  One was using Minolta's latest/greatest.
Trip barely began and they already toasted over half of their
batteries.  The other guy was using some mammoth EOS digital.
Scairy!  Couldn't imagine trying to trudge through the woods
with that creature hanging around my neck.  Might as well carry
a laptop too.  Didn't run into a single serious film shooter
though (except for mister wannabee with his Rebel).  Me?  I
carried way too much equipment, but looking at the results
convinced me that it was well worth it.  Years from now I'll
still be discovering my negatives for the first time. (I have
hundreds that I don't have a clue how to print yet)

I printed out some digital prints from somebody's digicam this
weekend. Honestly, these things were as butt-ugly as they can
get.  The camera is one of those S*ony jobs that is a video
camera that also takes stills.  4x6 was still WAY to large of an
enlargment.  I showed my wife one of his prints and then one of
mine (film camera, real photo paper).  Convinced her--no loupe
required.  Customer was happy as a clam, though.  In fact, he's
ready to buy enlargements (8x10).

<wretch>

That all said, I'm looking for cheep digital cameras that I can
give to my little (sniff, sniff, they ain't so little anymore)
girls.  Youngest is turning four tomorrow.  Shooting the party
with both B&W and Color film.  I'll leave the digital for the
inlaws.

AG-Schnozz