RE: [OM] slow film was The death of film.. pt n+1

Subject: RE: [OM] slow film was The death of film.. pt n+1
From: siddiq <iddibhai@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 03:00:23 -0700
9/17/2002 2:43:38 AM, "Carlos J. Santisteban Salinas" <cjss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

>Due to popularity of zoom P&S, I think it's a good thing to encourage the
>use of higher speed films (400-800); don't forget these cameras have
>amazingly slow lenses, like 38-105mm f4.5-10.8 or so. And P&S users rarely
>go beyond 4x6" prints, so grain isn't an issue.

...but if sales of lower speed films falter since no one buys them, they'll die
out. Witness K25. I dont mean to be an old fart....

>Nowadays, ASA 100 film is
>for high quality work, *only* if you have the gear *and* technique needed
>in order to reach that level.

one reason i will sometimes want slow film (even if neither my gear nor
technique are up to it) is to get l o n g e r shutter speeds. Say I want to
take a picture of a building. with faster films, say
400, which is my casual use speed, I can have to use a faster shutter speed for
a given aperture (dont want to stop down all the way). the faster shutter will
freeze the ppl who are walking across the
front of the building or walking into or out from it. with a slow film, i
expose for longer period of time, and therefore blurring out any distractions
(ie, ppl in the frame). they might even become a
pleasant part of the scene since they are blurred. Consider

http://users2.ev1.net/~wesiddiquis/siddiq/blue.jpg

the couple have become a passing part of the scene, not a primary component
since there is nothing recognizable about the face (where the eye first goes).
another version of the same with "frozen" person
(not uploaded yet) doesn't look as nice.

fwiw, that was 28/3.5 wide open on om1n for 2 seconds braced against wall.

or maybe i'm just going off on a rant. feel free to ignore :)