Re: [OM] Spanner wrenches from Micro-tools

Subject: Re: [OM] Spanner wrenches from Micro-tools
From: dreammoose <dreammoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 00:42:33 -0700
None of their spanners have the right shape and size to fit the tiny, square holes on the front rings of Zuikos. You would have to grind the points down. The 3 Piece Economy Set is pretty useless. I bought it and ended up driving up there (about 40min.) to look at alternatives. I now have the Multispan T-132-346 kit and find it works on lots of parts of various sizes and brands of lenses. I also got the rubber Dental Dam and have used it, stretched over an appropriate sized thing, to unscrew front rings on some Zuikos, but I have one it just won't budge. The classier solution, which I haven't gotten to yet is lab quality gum rubber stoppers, which M-T also sells as 'Lens Ring Tools' . I believe the #11 size fits Zuikos with 49 & 55mm filter rings. I've never needed a vise - so far, anyway

I just checked, and the Multispan spanner will fit the rear element mounting ring on the Vivitar. The Hawkins-Covington Camera Repair FAQ recommends using Ponds cold cream to clean off fungus in section C5 <http://brashear.phys.appstate.edu/lhawkins/photo/camrep.faq.html> .

Moose

NSURIT@xxxxxxx wrote:

I need some opinions from the tool jockeys in the group about choices of spanner wrenches from Micro-tools. My immediate need is to take the front element out of a 135 mm f2.8 Zuiko for cleaning and the same process on the rear element of a Vivitar 2X macro focusing teleconverter. The 135mm suffers from someone doing a really crappy job of cleaning the inside of the front element and leaving a smudge on the inside surface of the lens and the 2X has a very light fungus farm starting. So the questions are: 1) Which spanner wrench to buy from Micro-tools for removing front or rear retaining rings? 2) Will I need a vice or pliers or something to hold most lenses with while removing the ring and element? 3) Are there any special treatments or cleaning agents for the mold? Should someone suggest nose grease, please tell what to do, after I've smudged the lens up so you can! 't see clearly through it. Yes, I do know the difference between nose grease and other nose stuff. Bill Barber