Re: [OM] Spanner wrenches from Micro-tools

Subject: Re: [OM] Spanner wrenches from Micro-tools
From: clintonr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 13:04:11 -0500

NSURIT@xxxxxxx wrote:

> I need some opinions from the tool jockeys in the group about choices
> of spanner wrenches from Micro-tools.  My immediate need is to take
> the front element out of a 135 mm f2.8 Zuiko for cleaning and the same
> process on the rear element of a Vivitar 2X macro focusing
> teleconverter.

Probably 600f the time, I just use the rather heavy tweezers I got
from Olympus 20+ years ago.  Maybe 30%, I use the spanners similar to
Micro-Tool's #T-132 that I got at school 30+/- years ago.  After that,
it's a mix of special tools from Olympus made for specific lenses and
black rubber stoppers I bought from the local hardware store.  Once in a
while I stretch some old inner-tube rubber over the end of any handy
round object (like a spray can or whatever) to turn a lens ring!

So my suggestion is to spring for the #132 spanner and a couple of
tips.  It will be rare that you'll need the "7-B" or "7-C" tips.  More
likely, you may have to take the regular tips to a grinder to make them
narrower or thinner to fit into the notches, so I'd get one set of "D" &
"E" tips, and two "A"s.

>  2) Will I need a vice or pliers or something to hold most lenses with
> while removing the ring and element?

You can usually get by with just a rear lens cap and a soft rubber or
vinyl mat to work on.  Sometimes it's easier to hold the lens on the
seat between your legs -- but don't slip!  Try not to use a camera body
to hold a lens while you unscrew things -- the stop screw in the mount
can break off!

> 3) Are there any special treatments or cleaning agents for the mold?

My sensi said at Olympus, they were trained to just rub a fingertip
along the side of their nose and get it greasy, then rub-rub-rub the
surface of the damaged element until there was no sign of the fungus --
sort of like paste-wax on a car.  Then clean with acetone to remove the
greasy oils.