Re: [OM] Film advice

Subject: Re: [OM] Film advice
From: "Donald MacDonald" <donald.macdonald@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 14 Sep 2002 21:02:41 +0100
Well, for what it's worth...

I used five film types on my recent holiday. K25, K64, Provia 400, Provia
100 and Velvia.

I find the Provias scan very well, and the Velvia that I managed to control
(i.e., control the saturation) also scanned well. I've seen some dreadful
oversaturation with Velvia, but I steered clear of yellow and red as much as
possible, and gave it a bit extra in shots where I thought it would overdo
the colour. Apart from a couple of occasions it seems OK. I did one
comparison shot between K64 and Velvia, not quite exact because it wasn't
deliberate (;-)), and although I prefer the K64 shot, the Velvia coped
better with the shadows.

K64 remains my film of choice, but it scans less well than the Provia. K25
likewise, it has wonderful qualities but maybe I need to try something
different with regard to scanning it.

If I was just starting out and had no prejudice I would probably go with
Gary on this one, and use Provia. Whatever you pick, get used to it.

Donald.

Donald Neil MacDonald, BA DipLIS
www.bigmac1st.freeserve.co.uk

---