Re: [OM] Film advice

Subject: Re: [OM] Film advice
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 14 Sep 2002 00:02:30 -0500
At 19:34 9/13/02, Tom Wagner wrote:

This has to have been talked about again and again.. Everyone has their personal favorite, but what is the down and dirty advice or consensuses regarding the best chrome slide film available today for general photography....

K-14 Process:  Kodachrome 64
E-6 Process:  Provia 100F (RDP III)
B&W Chrome:  Agfa Scala 200X

I list both a K-14 and an E-6 because Kodachrome is my favorite, but some people seem to have more difficulty getting it processed than I have encountered aside from turn-around time. K-14 does require some patience everywhere but in a handful of very large cities. I just got one roll of my Kodachromes from last Saturday's air show back this evening (#2 is still in the camera). Gary Edwards had his Provia back and a scan from it posted on Monday, the day after he returned. I got some decent ones on this roll, but not nearly as stunning as the one Gary posted. Roll #2 has the bulk of the aerial shots and it's still in the OM-4 with 8 frames left on it.

Scala 200X is the *only* true B&W chrome, but it's also a very, very good one that's excellent for "general" work. Been using it for some time for occasional B&W shots that can be done at ISO 50 to ISO 100 with filters, or ISO 200 without filters.

-- John