Re: [OM] megapixel madness?

Subject: Re: [OM] megapixel madness?
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 01:38:49 -0700
on 9/12/02 12:49 PM, William Sommerwerck at williams@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> "This megapixel crapola is now becoming a marketing thing."
>
> Perhaps. But when Polaroid introduced their 4000dpi scanner, at least two
> reviewers remarked that, although the scanner provided higher resolution
> than was theoretically required, there was nevertheless a significant
> improvement in scan quality.
>
> Ignoring the issues of cost and storage space, you can't have "too much"
> resolution. This is especially true if you want cropping flexibility.

Not only for cropping, but if you have excess data you can always resample
to a smaller size with the maximum quality for the smaller size. You can't
"sample up" in size and maintain image quality.

> Remember, this Canon uses a full-frame sensor. That puts pressure on other
> manufacturers to provide a similar body. And if the Canon takes standard
> Canon 35mm lenses (and why would Canon introduce a full-frame-sensor body if
> it couldn't?), Zuikophiles will have a strong argument to force Olympus to
> "go and do likewise."

I think the key thing about this new Canon is the 'full frame' sensor
size... even if it was only 7 megapixels it would be a really big deal if
you own EOS lenses...

One of the true shortcomings of digital SLR's has been the 'multiplication
factor' for the legacy lenses of the manufacturers. Both Nikon and Canon
designed their digital SLR bodies to use the existing lenses of the
customer... but the smaller image sensor meant that true wide-angles were at
first not available.

There has been a huge increase in really wide-angle lenses available, like
14mm rectilinear, 16mm non-fisheye, 15-30mm zoom rectilinear. The driving
force behind these lenses design has been to provide a decently wide angle
view with the digital SLR bodies. Due to the multiplication factor, the 14mm
becomes effectively a 21-22mm wide angle... not really all that wide
compared with a full-frame image sensor using the same lens.

> Naturally, Olympus wants customers to buy all-new lenses -- but not from
> Canon! If you have to abandon the lenses you already own, you might as well
> abandon the brand -- especially when Canon lenses are still being
> manufactured, and will also fit a wide range of film bodies (also still
> being manufactured).
>
> It seems to me Olympus no longer has a choice. If it doesn't provide a
> full-frame body that takes OM lenses, hundreds of thousands of OM owners
> will switch to another brand for digital imaging.

Olympus already made the choice... they abandoned the OM series officially
last year... but effectively it has been on a dead-end path since Olympus
declined to develop an autofocus OM body.

> One of the biggest arguments in favor of a small full-frame Olympus digital
> SLR that takes OM lenses is the existing "library" of compact, high-speed
> lenses. Photographic film keeps getting faster, finer-grained, and sharper.
> It's going to be a long time -- if ever -- before electronic sensors catch
> up. Those tiny little f/2 Zuikos would be very useful on a digital body.

Not going to happen... your OM lenses will be useful on the OM bodies, but
don't look for a full-frame sensor digital SLR body from Olympus. By dumping
the OM system, Olympus doesn't have to create the 'full-frame' sensor body.
They aren't going to now introduce a full-frame body and start up production
of OM lenses again... for one thing, there would be no autofocus, so the
camera would be a non-starter in the market.

Instead Olympus, not having the need to support legacy SLR lenses, will
offer a truly new design. If it takes 11.1MP to compete meaningfully,
remember than digital electronics doesn't *have* to spread those 11.1MP out
over 24mm x 36mm. When you have a smaller image area required, the lenses,
bodies, and overall camera system can all be smaller also.

Because of the smaller image sensor area, some incredible lenses can be
designed, including very small lenses faster than the OM "f2.0's" and zoom
lenses like you won't believe. For a clue, look at the lenses available for
16mm movie cameras... the frame size there is about the same as a 4/3"
diagonal image sensor.

I predict that Olympus will rattle some cages with the lens lineup for their
digital SLR body. If you want my prediction of what inspires the Olympus
digital SLR design IMO you need to look at the Olympus Pen F series. The Pen
F body, lenses, everything is smaller, but just as sharp and useful. Imagine
a Pen F body with an 11.1MP image sensor... Take a look at the size of the
Pen lenses, even compared with OM series lenses... much less any Nikon or
Canon lens from the mid '60's... or any Nikon or Canon AF lens now.

Olympus is going to do it again... and if you don't already have a bag full
of legacy Nikon or Canon lenses, you're not stuck having to buy that huge
EOS body or D100 body to go digital. The Olympus digital SLR stuff is going
to be 1/3 smaller, much lighter, and just as sharp and high quality for
images... what do you want to carry around all day long???
--

Jim Brokaw