Re: [OM] Fang! possibly two

Subject: Re: [OM] Fang! possibly two
From: Tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 01:39:22 -0400
On Monday, September 09, 2002 at 18:16, Jim Brokaw
<olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote re "Re: [OM] Fang! possibly two" saying:

> on 9/9/02 4:28 PM, M. Lloyd at royer007@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
> > I walk into Rowe Photo today for a lark. They are
> > Rochester's most overpriced and scammer camera shop
> > and just look to see if anything's availible. They
> > still have an 18/3.5 for $529 on consignment with
> > pretty bad front coating that's been there for years
> > (at least 3!) but they have something new for show.
> > It's a B-300 teleconverter in great condition complete
> > with pouch, caps and cap strap. The guy asks me if I
> > have an IS series camera, I say no. He says the B-300
> > will only work on the IS series (the guy doesn't look
> > very bright). I say how much? It's $49.99! Looks like
> > the scammers finally offer a deal.
> >
> > I then take a long hard look at that 18mm. at $529
> > it's way overpriced, but it's on consignment. I ask
> > them if they say they can go any lower. $499; give me
> > a break! (the front element will probably have to be
> > replaced is that part still availible?) I make him an
> > offer of $275 he almost scoffs and says normally I
> > wouldn't even bother calling the guy but another
> > salesman says maybe he should call since that lens has
> > been there "forever" so I'm thinking maybe I can get
> > it for less. If I do will I be getting a good deal or
> > is the lens shot or will the repair bill be ultra
> > high? Thanks for reading this.
> >
> > Mark Lloyd
> The thing I'd do is check with Olympus (or John H.) to see if the front
> element is still available... That's critical if you want the lens fixed.
>
> If its really just coating wear, you might find that it would work OK as-is,
> although with an 18, its hard to keep light sources out of the picture, so
> flare could be a problem. I think even at $500 that's a pretty good price
> for the 18/3.5 though.

The coating on the front of the front element hardly matters at all. What
matters are the coatings on all the internal lens surfaces, since
reflections off the front never create glare.

tOM--
--------- http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Olympus-Documentation