Re: [OM] Buying a 300 / 4.5

Subject: Re: [OM] Buying a 300 / 4.5
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 09 Sep 2002 18:00:55 -0700
on 9/9/02 2:30 PM, Ian G Skelly at I@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I'm trying to steel myself into bidding for a 300 / 4.5 thats available. I'm
> not worried about it being mint, simply a good quality work horse.
>
> Any suggestions on what I should check out with the seller before I commit
> would be very much appreciated.
>
> thanks
> Ian

Is the glass clean, clear, and free of fungus and scratches? Single-coated
or MC? Focus mechanism turning smoothly and evenly, with good dampening
throughout the range? Aperture blades open and shut briskly, no oil or crud
on them? Aperture ring click-stops working, aperture ring not rattley or
sloppy?

Finish generally in good shape, no big dents, dings, gouges, scratches, etc.
that aren't apparent in the pictures? Tripod mount included? (available
reasonably from John H., but try to get $50 off if its missing <g>)

Does it include the hard case...? Lens cap? Base cap? Filter size is 72mm,
so a UV filter included is worth a few $. A 72mm circular polarizer included
is definitely a bonus...

Does the seller have a good reputation (check recent feedback, look at
any/all negatives you can). Is the payment method compatible with your
ability? Watch out for costly shipping and currency exchange costs if
bidding on overseas items... you can get hammered on shipping and paying in
'Sterling' or 'Swiss Francs' if "God's Own American Dollars" is what you're
starting from <g>

Watch out most of all that the whole auction thing is/can be addictive, and
ruin your finances... there's too much good stuff out there!
--

Jim Brokaw