Re: [OM] Speculation about the new Oly DSLR system.

Subject: Re: [OM] Speculation about the new Oly DSLR system.
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2002 00:51:57 -0700
So far we have all been entertaining the thought (and hoping) that
the new DSLR system will have an adapter
for mounting Zuiko lenses. Sounds like a reasonable business
decision for Olympus. In addition to first time
buyers who will buy both new bodies and lenses, the current OM
owners will also have a good reason acquire
a digital body from Olympus.
I was just thinking..what  if Olympus decides to make the new lenses
compatible with the older bodies as well ?
Sure focal lengths will be shorter on 35mm bodies and the lenses
will work only in MF mode. But what have we
got here..total compatibility within the 35mm bodies and lenses and
the digital bodies and lenses.  An OM owner
will  not only want to buy a digital  body , but the new lenses as well.

Its 1 in the morning, maybe I am just dreaming.....

-Tim

The CCD chip is smaller than a 35mm frame. Unless you think it would
be acceptable to have a little circular image in the middle of the
35mm frame, Olympus would have to design the new digital lenses so
that the image would cover the larger format.  Then the lens would be
the same size as an OM lens.  Don't think it will happen.
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California

?