[OM] F280 Super FP revisited

Subject: [OM] F280 Super FP revisited
From: plp@xxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2002 03:48:32 GMT
Cc:
At the unofficial Olympus sales information file website
http://olympus.dementia.org/eSIF/om-sif/flashphotogroup/f280.htm
two statements seem to be contradictory:
 - Super FP Flash with full synchronization at all shutter speeds
and
 - flash duration in Super FP Mode of about 1/25 sec. is some 40
   times longer than normal electronic flash, affording full
   synchronization at all shutter speeds

I'm confused again.  If Super FP mode allows full synchronization
at all speeds, then the flash duration should be dependent upon
the shutter speed and not be a constant of "about 1/25 sec", no?
I seem to remember a post (by John L.?) explaining that Super FP
mode operates as follows: flash starts, shutter opens, shutter
closes, flash stops.  If true, and I believe it is, then the
flash duration will be the shutter speed plus the time before and
after the shutter operates.  And, the longer the shutter opening,
the less flash power that will be available, according to the
charts.

Because of the radically reduced flash power as shutter speed
decreases, it seems that Super FP mode is *only* useful as a fill
flash, and nothing more.  No?

Pete