Re: [OM] Tamron vs. Zuiko

Subject: Re: [OM] Tamron vs. Zuiko
From: "Roger D. Key" <rdk@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 7 Sep 2002 10:48:18 +0200
Note that Photodo's grading of the Tamron MF SP 35-105/2.8 (which I
mentioned earlier in the tnhread as a better comparison sizewise to the
Zuiko 35-80) is 3.6, the same as the Zuiko.

I believe that this list has some very satisfied owners of the Tamron
35-105.

Roger Key, Copenhagen DK

>I had a Tamron 28-105/2.8 for a few months before I traded it for the
Zuiko
>35-80/2.8.  I had no complaints on the image quality of the Tamron, it was
>top-notch.  And the extra range over the Zuiko on both ends was very nice.
>
>What I didn't like about the Tamron was it's handling.  1) I felt that it
>got too big when zoomed out.  It's an 82mm filtered lens.  With the tulip
>hood, I felt like I had far too much lens in my hand for normal
situations.
>I got several comments when I used it in photo-journalistic and close-in
>situations like: "Wow, look at that thing!".  2) Also, it was obviously
>designed as an AF lens, so the focusing ring is relatively tiny compared
>the zoom-control ring.  I didn't like this and I also didn't like the feel
>of the focusing or zooming.  3) Perhaps I'm just a metal-lens guy, but I
>was a bit put-off by all the polycarbonate.
>
>I too used it with an OM-4t and a MD2, which IMO you pretty much had to in
>order to get any reasonable handling.  I also frequently used a BG2, which
>made for a huge rig.
>
>Also, if I remember right, it focuses in a reverse direction from the
>Zuiko, but I may be wrong on that one.
>
>I think I've got some test shots that I did against Zuiko primes in my
>slide files somewhere.  I'll dig them up if I get time.  The net was it
was
>almost indistinguishable from my primes, except the 90/2.
>
>Skip

Photodo:
Grade: 2.4  35mm/AF     Tamron AF 28-105/2,8 LD Aspherical (IF)

Grade: 3.6  35mm/MF     Olympus 35-80/2,8

Photodo is not the only place I have seen that did not think highly
of the Tamron.
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California