Re: [OM] cross point screws follow up; JIS cross-point screws

Subject: Re: [OM] cross point screws follow up; JIS cross-point screws
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 03 Sep 2002 12:21:58 -0700
on 9/3/02 10:47 AM, Timpe, Jim at Jim.Timpe@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I think part of your descriptor is lacking.  A 1.7x4 is 1.7mm x 4 threads
> per mm, if I'm not mistaken.  The depth of the screw is nowhere enumerated
> in a standard thread sizing.

Hmmm... actually, the 1.7 x 4 would be a 1.7mm diameter and 4mm length
(which could be 'from under the head to the end of the screw' or the
'overall' length if a flathead type).

The thread pitch (e.g. 0.3mm/thread or 0.2mm/thread) is 'assumed' for most
metric threaded fasteners, as they are commonly found in only one thread
pitch. Some metric sizes can come in more than one thread pitch, i.e. you
can get M6 in 'fine' .7mm/thread and also in 'regular' 1.0mm/thread pitch.
But mostly, metric screws are standardized to one thread pitch related to
the thread diameter. The bigger the diameter, the longer the pitch is
usually.

Many screws that are used in cameras are actually custom designs, and with
those 'screw-machine made' designs anything can be done...
--

Jim Brokaw

Former hardware/fastener buyer in another lifetime...