Re: [OM] Beattie Intenscreen in UK - any alternative

Subject: Re: [OM] Beattie Intenscreen in UK - any alternative
From: dreammoose <dreammoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 18:10:36 -0700
Have you actually compared a Beattie to an Oly 2 series? To my eye, there isn't any difference in brightness between a 2-4 and a Beattie all-matte. The only reason I would get another Beattie would be if it had a configuration I particularly wanted that was not available on the 2-4 or 2-13.

Significant differences I am aware of are:

Beatties are poorer with wide angle lenses (28mm or shorter).
Only Beatties are available with diagonal split image focusing aids
Beatties are available with grid lines. John H will add these to Olys. Posts to the list have asserted that John's lines are finer and better than Beattie's. I've never seen either. Micoprism focusing rings are only available on Olys. The 2-13 is startling at first, compared to the 1-13. The microprism area becomes much more perfectly clear, with no hint of the microprism lines, when in focus. Olys are still available new and are much less expensive. (Unless your Beattie comes free in a cheap old body, as mine did!)

Moose

Ian G Skelly wrote:

Because of sight problems I need as bright and clear a screen as possible so
at the moment the Beattie is winning. Anybody out there with other
suggestions / experience of alternate screens? All advice will be most
welcome.