Re: [OM] Re: What is an Ethical Photograph (Long)

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: What is an Ethical Photograph (Long)
From: Matt Crawley <matt@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 20:25:15 -0600
Hi Dave.

What would the weenies in the other forum think if you hung black velvet
behind your flowers when you photographed? Or masked and pre-exposed
traditional photo paper before printing to achieve the same effect.

Many aspects of Photoshop are just electronic evolutions of traditional
techniques. Many people forget this just because your not in a traditional
darkroom anymore.

Do what you like but FWIW I actually like your pictures that retain the
background better. Most of them are better composed and they have much more
"depth" to them... Your black backgrounds are just too BLACK and it makes
the image flatter.

Regards.

 - Matt Crawley

davdou@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
SNIP
> In another forum it was suggested that the florals I shoot are not "honest".
> That is, since I have used Photoshop to process them, especially to change
> or eliminate the background, I have violated some unwritten ( or is it
> written somewhere) rule.  I should contrive to shoot the macro and leave ALL
> elements in the resulting photo.
SNIP
> It is my contention that if photography is to be considered even remotely as
> an art, the photographer/artist should have the liberty to "interpret" the
> photo to suit his purpose.
SNIP