[OM] Re: What is an Ethical Photograph (Long)

Subject: [OM] Re: What is an Ethical Photograph (Long)
From: "Dave Dougherty" <davdou@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 18:55:40 -0700
This will probably start or re-start quite a discussion.

My passion has been macro photography.  I have finally found a tool that, to
my way of thinking, lends itself very well to that pursuit;  the E-20.

In another forum it was suggested that the florals I shoot are not "honest".
That is, since I have used Photoshop to process them, especially to change
or eliminate the background, I have violated some unwritten ( or is it
written somewhere) rule.  I should contrive to shoot the macro and leave ALL
elements in the resulting photo.

It is my contention that if photography is to be considered even remotely as
an art, the photographer/artist should have the liberty to "interpret" the
photo to suit his purpose.

In my case, the purpose is to produce the most beautiful floral image I can.
Is this different than dodging and burning, selective cropping, retouching,
etc. as practiced by silver based photographers forever?  I don't think so.

I humbly submit the URL below to demonstrate my point and to cause a
discussion of this issue.  I think there is a line between dishonest  ( like
when TV Guide put Oprah's head on Ann Margret's body on a cover years ago)
and ordinary post photo processing in Photoshop.

http://www.pbase.com/davehugh/macro_florals

So what do you all think.

Dave Dougherty