Re: [OM] [OD] What are we expecting?

Subject: Re: [OM] [OD] What are we expecting?
From: "Tom Trottier" <Tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 18:14:12 -0400
I do like the optical view of my 600L, but those small lenses don't
have a lot of light. If the viewfinder view were detailed enough, and
bright, I'd take that.

As for the focus "zoom", I was thinking of a special instant zoom in to
the max while manual focusing. Let go, and you see the whole pic.

My reasons for an eye-level detailed digital viewfinder:
        - brighter viewfinder than SLR
        - instant varimagni
        - more lens design freedom, esp. wide angles
        - smaller lenses - no retrofocus
        - no mirror delay or pellix interference
        - infra-red imaging and framing
        - finer images to review

Of course, 1600x1200 pixels or more would be even more attractive!

tOM

On Tuesday, August 27, 2002 at 14:08, Mike Veglia
<olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote re "Re: [OM] [OD] What are we expecting?" saying:

> In a message dated 8/26/2002 Tom Trottier writes:
>
> << I think designers would be wise to ditch the reflex in favour of a
> small digital screen at least 1024x768 with an eyepiece and digital
> zoom in for focus checks. Perhaps it's because of my presbyopia, but I
> think looking at a little screen 8" away, like many digital cameras
> have, does not lead to thoughtful pix. >>
>
> I am afraid I can't agree there. Despite not being the best SLR focusing
> screen/viewfinder (compared to a 2-4 screen in an OM-4T that is), the E-10
> sill is a usable manual focus camera. Others I know who have LCD display
> viewfinders on digital cameras find manual focus to be virtually impossible
> and think the E-10 viewfinder is a dream come true. I do agree that the
> display you look at like a small video cam-corder is worthless for anything
> except perhaps macro work.
>
> At first glance I thought the new Nik*n Coolpix 5700 was a very good
> alternative to the E-10/20, but that LCD viewfinder was a show-stopper for
> me.
>
> I couldn't imagine having to press buttons and zoom in just to confirm
> focus. I want to see it well, right now.

------- Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur -----------------
   ,__@ Tom A. Trottier +1 613 860-6633 fax:231-6115
 _-\_<, 758 Albert St.,Ottawa ON Canada K1R 7V8
(*)/'(*)        ICQ:57647974 N45.412 W75.714