Re: [OM] [OD] What are we expecting?

Subject: Re: [OM] [OD] What are we expecting?
From: Mike Veglia <msvphoto@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 12:03:59 -0700
In a message dated 8/28/2002 Bill Stanke asks:

<< I am interested in digital, but relatively clueless about what I would
want in a camera. >>

Don't feel bad. I have been shooting some digital with the E-10 for almost a
year now, and am still relatively clueless what I want too ;-)

<< The Nikon 5700 looks pretty cool to me.  I wondered if the LCD
viewfinder would be the wave of the future, or if it would be like the
old Canon SLRs with the fixed Pellicle mirror.  Interesting, but not
mainstream. >>

At first glance it looked like a good alternative to an E-10 or E-20. Upon
closer review, I don't think so.

<< I would like to see a way that the "chip" is protected from dust, etc.
when the lens is removed.  I could see over zealous "cleaning" of the
CCD could ruin it in short order, something like amateur's cleaning the
mirror. >>

As I understand it, the E-10 and E-20 lens assembly is designed in such a
way that the CCD is fully protected. I also hear rumors that Olympus has
plans to address the lens change issues (with an internal filter or some
such thing) in the new DSLR. I hope so. (Okay, there's one expectation
;-)...)

<< I am hoping that Olympus will come out with a DWIM (Do What I Mean)
model. >>

They already do. It is called an E-10 or E-20. Put the dial on "M" and you
have total control. The user interface is actually pretty good, intuitive,
and easy to learn.

Mike Veglia
Motor Sport Visions Photography
http://www.motorsportvisions.com