Re: [OM] Hiking Advice -- silk underwear

Subject: Re: [OM] Hiking Advice -- silk underwear
From: "Lee Penzias" <l_penzias@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 23:38:14 -0500
When you've been cold enough a time or two - like being unable to open your pack, or some other ordinarily mudane act - vanity and the like become diminishing factors in examining what works best keeping warm when the chips are down. The silk underwear I speak of are just like regular longjohns - just made of silk instead of cotton. The silk glove liners really help if you wear them inside wool gloves and mitts. You retain the dexterity lacking with the bulkier items while they afford some protection in really low temps when the heavier gloves or mitts are off. Worn inside polypropylene or fine wool glove liners they add extra warmth with no bulk or weight. Also available are sock liners and balaclavas. Nothing else is the same to me. When ounces, compactness and performance count silk is it. The better mountaineering and outdoor suppliers can get them if they don't actually stock them.

Cheers
Lee