RE: [OM] Hiking Advice

Subject: RE: [OM] Hiking Advice
From: "Lee Penzias" <l_penzias@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 02:21:45 -0500
Jim,

I have a Barbour jacket I bought in a fishing shop in the UK for about 100 sterling (Approx. $150) about 5 years ago. I did try and find a direct source for them on the web some time ago but couldn't get anywhere with the links I found.

Orvis is a somewhat upmarket outdoor clothing store chain. They probably carry a limited Barbour line, are slightly overpriced and lean towards the pricier items too. But I think Barbour's more basic items are the best; the lighter weight jackets etc. I would try and find a U.K. source - one of the outdoor shops online. When ordering Brit goods you get the 17% VAT off - the exchange rate against the dollar is I believe hovering around one to one against the Euro. Sterling was running $1.50.

For genuine Ventile there is West Winds in the UK. I haven't ordered any of their stuff yet but as soon as I have the funds I plan on doing so.

There website is;

www.west-winds.co.uk

Cheers,
Lee