RE: [OM] Hiking Advice

Subject: RE: [OM] Hiking Advice
From: Chris Barker <imagopus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2002 18:36:51 +0100
I have a Barbour, a standard green heavyweight model.  It is my
second.  They are excellent for inclement weather when walking, for
shielding from thorns, for warmth (they allow layers to be built-up
underneath) and for carrying ability.  Mine has hand pockets,
moleskin-lined, big bag outside pockets with poppers, inside
"poacher's pockets" (for dead game birds allegedly) with waterproof
lining and 2 small wallet pockets, one between the zip and the
poppers fastening the front.  The front zip is 2-way and you can
attach a hood to the poppers inside the collar.  Oh and the collar is
coduroy-lined with a chin fastening.  They were designed for farmers
and gillies and other outdoor workers since they are long
(bum-covering) and waterproof, but they are not pretty.  I have worn
mine in the piddling rain and strong winds, and to work in the centre
of London.

The pockets are big enough for 2+ bodies and many lenses - even a
300/4.5, although it would bang against your legs and become a little
irritating...

And when they wear out, they can be refurbished completely.
Unfortunately, I left my first one in a taxi in London and I could
not test this out.

Chris